“Lab-made diamonds” are known as “man-made diamonds” or “Lab-grown diamonds”. Cutting-edge technology is used to replicate the natural diamond growing process. These diamonds are grown in the laboratory under the same pressure and temperature as that of the earth’s crust.
One might be reserved about calling them “real diamonds” as they are not mined from the earth. But, this is far from the truth. “Lab-grown diamonds” are “real diamonds” that only differ from each other when it comes to their origin. Some of the sophisticated gem laboratories have also certified these “Lab-made diamonds”. These diamonds are grown from a single carbon seed and possess the same properties and features as that of the mined diamonds.
2. Benefits of Lab-made Diamonds
- Eco- Friendly Lab-grown diamonds prevent the destruction of earth that is caused by mining. We get the same quality diamonds in a laboratory controlled environment as opposed to ecologically destructive processes. If numbers are to be believed, nearly 100 sq ft of land is disturbed and almost 6000 lbs of mineral waste is created for every carat of diamond that is mined.
- Competitively Priced Diamonds are rare and hence too expensive. But a shorter supply chain in the lab grown diamonds make them 20-30% cheaper than the mined diamonds.
- Less Risky Manufacturing Lab grown diamonds is safer than the mined diamonds. The mining process involves injury to the laborers – the numbers are appalling! Lab grown diamonds are a great way to avoid the risks of onsite accidents.
3. The Shady Side of Lab Grown Diamonds
- No Supply Constraints Their value will continue to depreciate as there are no constraints on the supply of lab grown diamonds. This impacts the resale value, hence making it more expensive for any upgrade in the future.
- Hampers Local Economy “Lab Grown Diamonds” are a business owned and operated by global giants. They effectively crush the mining industry, affecting the local economy and income of the daily wage workers.
- Sustainability Issues Though Lab Grown Diamonds efficiently portray to curb the damage caused to the ecology by the mining industry, they themselves need to create a controlled environment which demands a lot of energy. Carefully weighing in the pros and cons of the lab grown diamonds, we as the certified sellers of gems and jewels prefer to stick to the naturally mined diamonds ensuring great shine, quality and also maintenance of local economy.